Ballard Rain Garden Open House
On Saturday, November 6th from 10:00 AM until 1:00 PM you can go to the Sunset Hill Community Club (3003 NW 66th Street) and pick up information to begin your self-guided walking tour of the Ballard Rainiwise street project.
Ballard has taken the lead in Seattle to prevent pollutants from entering our water ways. How so? One of the biggest causes of waterway pollution is run-off from roofs and driveways. This water is normally diverted to the storm drains in the street or in some cases to the city sewer system itself. In the latter case, this puts a burden on the sewer treatment plants. In the former, pollutants that could be filtered on the property are wisked away to streams, rivers lakes and out to Puget Sound.
Here is what this free tour offers:
· Learn from experts at each tour site how and why Ballard is leading with green.
· Discover how easy it is to receive a RainWise rebate and create a beautiful yard.
· See neighborhood rain gardens and cisterns that have already received a rebate.
· Visit planting strips transformed into roadside rain gardens.
· Explore porous concrete and how it works in green alleys.
Be a part of cleaning up this valuable resource of ours. At the same time, you might discover a way to install a water retention sight on your property and enjoy the rebate to help defray expenses.